Thursday, April 7, 2016

New Understandings

I was recently reading an article on DNA work, (I know I am obsessed lately) and I learned that I do not know what half of the DNA language means, so I found this great article, Learning the DNA Lingo, and had to share. I learned a lot, but some just refreshed my high school days.

I remember what a chromosome and genome are, but I do not know what a haplotype is. I figure if I can learn something new, and I usually try to, then so can anyone. Learning about our family through DNA may not sound complicated,but learning the language of DNA is.

I enjoy the articles that are in the familytreemagazine.com edition. I always find interesting articles and tidbits of information that I can use. If you are not a member, become a free member today. They are a wealth of information that I use quite often.
 
I really wish I could afford familytreeuniversity.com, (I am not sure of the link.)
They offer many great classes and loads of informative videos that can help the most seasoned genealogist. What we need is the lay genealogist information video and corner.

I know familysearch.org is a great place to find informative videos and free advice, but they do not always have their server up and running or they do not always have the records I know to be on Ancestry.com. I find this to be a problem and quite aggravating, to say the least.

I find many records are in the archives that are part of the government papers. They are just as useful and are free. You can request copies for a price, or print a copy from the Internet. Either way, it is nice to have the records out there and accessible.

I know I also appreciate all the work that others do to make my genealogy searches go much easier. I am spoiled compared to old search and keep tactics. I think that it is important to have a hard copy, but I also think we have it so much easier when it comes to searching for our ancestors records.
I also thank those that have done the work for me so I can jsut see and click. Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment