Thursday, December 10, 2015

Past Endeavors in Families

I have been lax in tracing the line. I got frustrated very early because the family line on Ancestry.com added a family to mine that is not my family. I now have to take out people that do not belong there and figure out how they even got added to begin with. I believe I must have been click happy when I added the family line of the paternal side.

It happens to the best of us; we click the wrong button and now we have a family in our family that is not our family. Then we become even more confused about the family line so we quit.  Well DO NOT QUIT! As long as you keep working at it, you can overcome the confusion and take control of your family once again.

Now, about Rachel, I went to the Hermitage in Tennessee and realized how much she and my mother look alike. Rachel was a little heavier than my mother, but the build and the manner in which she held herself is the same. I know my mother and there is no way she would go over river to help settle new land. Rachel did just this with her father.

I cannot imagine how scary it would have been to be on the river and have the Native Americans shooting at you from the bank when you try to land the boats. There are stories about the people that died while helping Captain John Donalson settle the western side of the Cumberland River in Tennessee.

It really is quite interesting when you start finding the history of the people that helped settle the land that you have seen and the places where you have been. I really do enjoy understanding more about the people that are responsible for me or my family members.

Come back tomorrow and I will tell you about how to find a maiden name or at least cry trying. I will also talk about how the War of 1812 in Louisiana was won by Andrew and how Rachel actually lived in the swamps of Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment